The 5-10 guard gave an oral commitment to USC coach Tim Floyd on Sunday. Boatright was at USC for a basketball camp over the weekend. Word leaked out on Monday that Floyd had offered Boatright a scholarship. The family announced the commitment Tuesday.Yes, Floyd knows how to reel them in, but there comes a point where the recruiting process gets ridiculous, and Floyd has reached that point. Floyd got an oral commitment from a 14-year old last year as well, when Dwayne Polee Jr. announced he would go to USC, but at least Polee had already chosen a high school. Let's make a new rule: All announcements about where a basketball player is going to college must be preceded by an announcement about where he's going to high school.
"It was just a coincidence," Tanesha Boatright, Ryan's mother, said. "Ryan has always loved USC and North Carolina. So when one of his favorite schools offered him a scholarship, he couldn't pass it up."
DePaul and Indiana both expressed interest in Boatright, but USC was the first school to offer. Floyd made quite an impression on the family.
"He was just amazing," Tanesha Boatright said. "Such a warm, nice man. He made us feel so comfortable. He was awesome. You couldn't have asked for anything more."
Jun 20, 2007 – 11:10 AM
Ryan Boatright is a 14-year-old middle school basketball player. He hasn't decided where he's going to high school. But he has decided where he's going to college: USC.Filed under: Sports
- Oklahoma tornado: Durant and OU, Oklahoma State athletes respond to disaster
- Danica Patrick starting to attract boos from NASCAR fans as on-track struggles mount
- Knicks postseason review: More second-round finishes to come from NY
- NHL playoffs: Late heroics propel Ottawa to double overtime win over Pittsburgh in Game 3
- Rob Gronkowski undergoes fourth forearm surgery on Monday
- Break's Over, Santa: Ticketmaster Kicks Off Christmas Season in May
- Home Depot and Lowe's Report in Sandy's Continuing Wake
- Why Your Facebook Account Is More Secure Than Your Bank Account
- Get the Lead Out: Lipsticks That Won't Hurt Your Pocketbook Or Your Health
- Why Taco Bell and Popeyes Want to Serve You Breakfast
News From Our Partners
- TARGET SPEAKS OUT: Tea Party Founder Claims Feds Eyed Her for Years
- WATCHDOG REPORT: DOJ Official Targeted 'Furious' Info Leaker, Lied
- FREE PRESS? DOJ Obtained Records Of Fox News Journalist
- MILE-WIDE TWISTER: Tornado Barrels Through Oklahoma City Suburbs
- Florida town abuzz wondering who among them won $590.5M Powerball jackpot
- Yahoo Buys Tumblr For $1.1B, Its Most Expensive Acquisition In A Decade
- New Haven Latinos Running For Office, Hoping To Ride Latino Voter Wave
- Immigration Forms: What Are The Available Options?
- Former U.S. Marine Kidnapped In Mexico, Family Says
- Immigration Union Opposes Reform Bill, Says Checks And Balances Will Suffer
Also on AOL >>>
More on Aol
More on Aol
More From AOL
Latest news, weather, health, business, sports, science, money, entertainment, world news, elections, weird news and more.