The 5-10 guard gave an oral commitment to USC coach Tim Floyd on Sunday. Boatright was at USC for a basketball camp over the weekend. Word leaked out on Monday that Floyd had offered Boatright a scholarship. The family announced the commitment Tuesday.Yes, Floyd knows how to reel them in, but there comes a point where the recruiting process gets ridiculous, and Floyd has reached that point. Floyd got an oral commitment from a 14-year old last year as well, when Dwayne Polee Jr. announced he would go to USC, but at least Polee had already chosen a high school. Let's make a new rule: All announcements about where a basketball player is going to college must be preceded by an announcement about where he's going to high school.
"It was just a coincidence," Tanesha Boatright, Ryan's mother, said. "Ryan has always loved USC and North Carolina. So when one of his favorite schools offered him a scholarship, he couldn't pass it up."
DePaul and Indiana both expressed interest in Boatright, but USC was the first school to offer. Floyd made quite an impression on the family.
"He was just amazing," Tanesha Boatright said. "Such a warm, nice man. He made us feel so comfortable. He was awesome. You couldn't have asked for anything more."
Jun 20, 2007 – 11:10 AM
Ryan Boatright is a 14-year-old middle school basketball player. He hasn't decided where he's going to high school. But he has decided where he's going to college: USC.Filed under: Sports
- Mail Bonding: Why Kirk Ferentz is ranked ninth among Big Ten coaches
- NBA Mock Draft 2014: No. 1 pick is Jabari Parker's to claim
- NBA Playoffs: Eastern, Western Conference first-round matchups
- NHL awards ballot: Crosby is MVP, Chara for Norris
- Jim Kelly update: Hall of Famer to spend Easter at home before resuming treatment
News From Our Partners
- FBI MANHUNT 2 more suspects sought in kidnap of prosecutor's dad
- PRIVACY CONCERNIs your home's energymeter spying on you?
- CAPITOL ATTITUDEHHS nominee at center of ObamaCare proxy war
- 'TRUMPED UP' CASE? GOP: Emails show IRS, DOJ eyed Tea Party charges
- US military aid to Ukraine to help fend off Russians? Helmets, sleeping bags
- How Safe Is California? Earthquakes In Chile And Nicaragua Raise Questions About Preparedness
- Rick Sanchez: Why Rand Paul Is Becoming More Interesting
- Paul Walker's Friend Roger Rodas Reportedly Left Children A $1 Million Life Insurance Policy
- 3 Die in attack on military base in southeast Ukraine
- World's Biggest Brazil Nut: Soccer Fan Has Worn Nothing But National Team Colors Since 1994
- Five Best Thursday Columns
- A Conservative Think Tank Shoots Down the Obamacare Census Conspiracy Theory
- The Cannes 2014 Lineup Includes 'Foxcatcher,' 'Grace of Monaco,' and Tommy Lee Jones
- Can High-Speed Trading Firms Thank Michael Lewis for Their Subpoenas?
- Man Fired for Spending Too Much Time on CNN Talking About MH370 and 'Shaming Canadians'
Also on AOL >>>
More on Aol
More on Aol
More From AOL
Latest news, weather, health, business, sports, science, money, entertainment, world news, elections, weird news and more.