Lurie didn't say who he was referring to, but Kevin Roberts of the Courier-Post reports that Lurie meant Damon Moore and Thomas Hamner, two Eagles who were charged with animal cruelty in 2001. Of course, cutting players like Moore and Hamner, as the Eagles did, is a far cry from cutting a player as important as Vick.
"We're very disciplined in what we stand for," Lurie said. "Let me give you an example -- a few years ago we had a couple players who were . . . to put this nicely, not very respectful of their dogs."...
"Well, we don't respect that," Lurie said. "We don't do that. And they were gone from the team almost immediately if not immediately. That sets a tone, that these kinds of attitudes are unacceptable."...
"Individual teams have to be diligent in the way they mold (players) who are 22, 23 years old in a positive way," Lurie said. "It's not foolproof. But that gives you a chance to avoid any (incidents later on)."
Aug 8, 2007 – 4:03 PM
Although he didn't mention Falcons quarterback Michael Vick by name, Philadelphia Eagles owner Jeffrey Lurie made clear in a conversation with reporters Tuesday that he would never allow someone involved in dog fighting to play for the Eagles.Filed under: Sports
- Preakness Stakes 2013: Oxbow wins, denies Orb Triple Crown shot
- NBA Playoffs: Grizzlies vs. Spurs matchup more than 2011 echo
- Jimmie Johnson wins record fourth Sprint All-Star Race
- NHL playoffs: Don't worry about Rick Nash — unless you're a Bruin
- NHL playoffs: Logan Couture lifts Sharks to overtime win in Game 3
- Get the Lead Out: Lipsticks That Won't Hurt Your Pocketbook Or Your Health
- Why Taco Bell and Popeyes Want to Serve You Breakfast
- Google Links Wallet to Gmail, Letting Users Attach Money to Emails
- 5 Winners and Losers of the Week in Business
- Apple's Tim Cook Wants to Repatriate Overseas Cash at Lowered Rate
News From Our Partners
- 'We Could Lose Everything': Tea Party Groups Prepare to Sue IRS
- CHALLENGE FOR DEMS:Senate Campaigns Marked By Internal Battles
- BROKEN RAIL EYED:NTSB Probes Cause of Connecticut Train Collision
- FALL FROM GRACE:Hero Philly Cop Charged With Rape, Other Crimes
- ROOMMATE ARRESTED: Autopsy Confirms Body Found Is Missing Army Vet
- Oxbow Wins Preakness, Dashes Orb's Hope For Triple Crown
- Record $600 Million Powerball Is Enough To Forget Astronomical Odds Of Winning
- Yahoo Nearing $1.1B Acquisition Of Tumblr, Report Says
- Preakness: Orb, Dominican Jockey Favored To Win And Set Up Triple Crown Try
- Missing Army Vet's Body Found, Roommate Arrested As Murder Suspect
Also on AOL >>>
More on Aol
More on Aol
More From AOL
Latest news, weather, health, business, sports, science, money, entertainment, world news, elections, weird news and more.