Lurie didn't say who he was referring to, but Kevin Roberts of the Courier-Post reports that Lurie meant Damon Moore and Thomas Hamner, two Eagles who were charged with animal cruelty in 2001. Of course, cutting players like Moore and Hamner, as the Eagles did, is a far cry from cutting a player as important as Vick.
"We're very disciplined in what we stand for," Lurie said. "Let me give you an example -- a few years ago we had a couple players who were . . . to put this nicely, not very respectful of their dogs."...
"Well, we don't respect that," Lurie said. "We don't do that. And they were gone from the team almost immediately if not immediately. That sets a tone, that these kinds of attitudes are unacceptable."...
"Individual teams have to be diligent in the way they mold (players) who are 22, 23 years old in a positive way," Lurie said. "It's not foolproof. But that gives you a chance to avoid any (incidents later on)."
Aug 8, 2007 – 4:03 PM
Although he didn't mention Falcons quarterback Michael Vick by name, Philadelphia Eagles owner Jeffrey Lurie made clear in a conversation with reporters Tuesday that he would never allow someone involved in dog fighting to play for the Eagles.Filed under: Sports
- PGA Tour: Tiger Woods starts late, stalks victory at Doral
- Reds 2014: Window may be closing for Cincinnati
- Report: Phil Jackson mulling offer to join Knicks' front office; now leaning towards accepting?
- Full-Court Press: Jabari Parker was great, but Duke's rebounding was the key
- Canelo Alvarez batters outclassed Alfredo Angulo
- Forget Mt. Gox: Bitcoins Will Still Be Your Future Currency
- After Market: Investors Give Thumbs Up to Jobs Report, Thumbs Down to Russia
- Are Crocs Coming Back in Style? Blackstone Group Thinks So
- Week's Winners and Losers: Spying, Poaching, Dishing and Streaming
- Money Minute: Stocks Mark Financial-Crisis Milestone; IPOs Gather Steam
News From Our Partners
- A BLOODY GOOD SHOW?School's gory pick for musical angers parents
- 'CRITICALLY IMPORTANT' Central European nations ask US for fast gas exports
- VICTORY SPEECHPaul outlines 2016 platform after CPAC straw poll win
- INTO 'RUSSIA'S HANDS'Gates predicts Putin willtake control of Crimea
- Interpol: No database checks pre-flight
- Mexico, U.S. and Guatemala to coordinate border security efforts
- Former Teatro Real artistic director Gerard Mortier dies
- Nadal grinds out a win in Indian Wells
- 750 Washington State ICE Detainees Call For End Of Deportations, Go On Hunger Strike
- First US Company To Compete In World Largest Sangria Festival In Puerto Rico
Also on AOL >>>
More on Aol
More on Aol
More From AOL
Latest news, weather, health, business, sports, science, money, entertainment, world news, elections, weird news and more.