This Halloween, Jason Varitek gave trick-or-treaters something infinitely more valuable than a king-sized Snickers bar. The Red Sox captain sat in a lawn chair at the top on his driveway and handed out autographs, signing baseballs, hats, shirts, pillow cases stuffed with candy, and a green alien glove from a youngster's costume.I wonder if any of those kids ended up with the missing World Series ball in their pillow case ... I don't know if these guys really are more personable than most teams or if we're just being exposed to it because of the intense media attention they receive, but that's definitely pretty cool. What's next, Dice-K home videos? Oh, wait ...
Two police cruisers came to direct traffic and control the crowd, which swelled to some 50 youngsters and parents on a leafy block in the tony village of Waban, in Newton.
Nov 2, 2007 – 4:05 PM
While this whole Red Sox Nation thing can get kind of annoying for non-Boston-loving baseball fans, it's not hard to see why the team has such appeal. Earlier this week it was Jonathan Papelbon cracking wise on Letterman; now, it's Jason Varitek giving kids in his neighboorhood the best Halloween ever. From Andrew Ryan in the Boston Globe:Filed under: Sports
- Stanley Cup playoffs: Predicting the West — with help from a dartboard
- NBA Awards: Kevin Durant, LeBron James & other difficult decisions
- Who's No. 1? Sporting News ranks MLB leadoff hitters
- NHL draft lottery results: Panthers get top pick, Sabres slip
- 49ers should pay Colin Kaepernick now despite red flags
News From Our Partners
- 'HIGH'-WAY PROFILING? Colo. drivers say cops target them after pot laws
- FERRY SINKINGScores of students rescued from ship off South Korea
- COMMON CORE CHANGES Some Catholic schools update with new standards
- COST OF OBAMACARELaw to hit Americans with billions in new taxes, fees
- Dr. Ben Carson: White House wanted me to apologize for 'offending' Obama
- 2 Dead, 107 Missing After Ferry Sinks off South Korea's Coast
- Investigators: Car Accident Killed SD Girls Missing Since 1971
- JCC Accused Killer Wrote Letters to Would-Be Bomber
- Man Charged After Suspicious Bags Found Near Boston Marathon Finish Line
- Former KKK Leader Says Jewish Center Shooting Suspect Went 'Insane'
- Michael Bloomberg Is Starting A Gun Control Organization To Take On The NRA
- Louisiana Won't Get Rid of its Unconstitutional Sodomy Ban
- One Man Taken Into Custody After Boston Marathon Finish Line Bomb Scare
- US Airways' Tweetvestigation Has Concluded
- Rooting for Your Olympic Heroes in the NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs, with GIFs
Also on AOL >>>
More on Aol
More on Aol
More From AOL
Latest news, weather, health, business, sports, science, money, entertainment, world news, elections, weird news and more.