"That's going to be between Dwight and I, but his focus isn't where it needs to be," Van Gundy said. "I don't think right now we're on the same page to be quite honest." [...]Granted, a two-minute stint on the bench seems more like a breather than an actual punishment, but the fact Van Gundy explained it all after the game shows that he was serious. To Howard's credit, he downplayed the rift when asked about it in the locker room, saying, "It's just like when families have problems." That may be, but the Magic can ill-afford their head coach and their best player staying dysfunctional for long.
"His focus is on the offensive end," Van Gundy said. "He gets discouraged when he doesn't get the ball. I think the numbers prove that what we need him to focus on to win is defensive rebounding, but that's not what he wants to do right now and we've got a little bit of a conflict."
Feb 12, 2008 – 7:30 AM
Stan Van Gundy has no problem putting his foot down, even when the player who crossed the line is franchise cornerstone Dwight Howard. Van Gundy benched Howard for two minutes in Monday's loss to the Cavs after Howard said something that set Van Gundy off during a timeout. From Brian Schmitz's blog in the Orlando Sentinel:Filed under: Sports
- PGA Tour: Tiger Woods starts late, stalks victory at Doral
- Reds 2014: Window may be closing for Cincinnati
- Report: Phil Jackson mulling offer to join Knicks' front office; now leaning towards accepting?
- Full-Court Press: Jabari Parker was great, but Duke's rebounding was the key
- Canelo Alvarez batters outclassed Alfredo Angulo
- Forget Mt. Gox: Bitcoins Will Still Be Your Future Currency
- After Market: Investors Give Thumbs Up to Jobs Report, Thumbs Down to Russia
- Are Crocs Coming Back in Style? Blackstone Group Thinks So
- Week's Winners and Losers: Spying, Poaching, Dishing and Streaming
- Money Minute: Stocks Mark Financial-Crisis Milestone; IPOs Gather Steam
News From Our Partners
- Interpol: No database checks pre-flight
- UKRAINE CRISISPM Yatsenyuk to travel toDC this week for talks
- JUAN WILLIAMSWhy do liberals have hatefor black conservatives?
- 'CRITICALLY IMPORTANT' Central European nations ask US for fast gas exports
- 'GAME THE SYSTEM' Farrakhan-tied org among groups reaping farm money
- Sen. Ted Cruz Pokes Fun At Himself, Adversaries At Annual Gridiron Dinner
- Fast-Changing Districts Could Impact November Elections As GOP Works To Neutralize Immigration Reform
- Puerto Rico to host 7th Sangria Fest
- Mexico's president to visit Ecuador and Chile
- 17 Peruvians found working in slave-like conditions in Sao Paulo
Also on AOL >>>
More on Aol
More on Aol
More From AOL
Latest news, weather, health, business, sports, science, money, entertainment, world news, elections, weird news and more.