Maybe Jagr's to blame for this and maybe he's not (other players are upset but the team is indicating a slow start as the official reason for the firing), but maybe the most interesting aspect is that the KHL is not only looking to poach players from North America, but they're gunning for coaches as well. The KHL/NHL rivalry is far from over. As for Jagr, well, if Omsk didn't know an mysterious, often malconented superstar when they signed him, they probaby have a much better idea of it now.
Leonid Mikhailov of Championat.ru suggests that a dispute between former Ranger Jaromir Jagr and Gersonsky earlier this week hasn't helped the coach's already-tenuous position. According to the Mikhailov, the disagreement centered around Gersonsky's refusal to allow the team to return home to their wives, girlfriends and families after their week-long season-opening road trip. In Russia, it's not unusual for teams to mandate that players stay overnight at what's called the "baza", a sort of hotel/dormitory complex, on nights prior to games. It seems Gersonsky opted to require his team to report to the baza upon their return from Togliatti earlier this week, rather than allowing them to go home after a week away.
Sep 16, 2008 – 12:25 AM
With the KHL season only five games old, it looks like Jaromir Jagr is making his presence with Avangard Omsk quickly felt. An early season dispute between him and coach Sergei Gersonsky looks like it may lead to the Gersonsky's ouster in favor of former NHL coach Bob Hartley, who's going to Omsk within the next week to meet with the team's GM. FanHouse heard this rumor a bit earlier and we've got something solid to report, as Beyond the Blueshirts has spotted it on two different Russian sports sites. They summarized the situation thusly:Filed under: Sports
- Brian Urlacher set standard for linebackers in pass-crazy era
- NBA playoffs 2013: LeBron James bests Paul George in Heat's Game 1 win
- Michael Crabtree update: 49ers WR tears tendon, has surgery
- NHL playoffs: Penguins' third-period outburst paces Game 4 win
- Dale Jarrett, Maurice Petty highlight 2014 class of NASCAR Hall of Fame
- Wanted: More Women to Become Financial Planners
- Oklahoma's Tornado Tragedy Could Send Your Insurance Costs Higher
- Amazon to Turn Fan Fiction into a Money Maker with Kindle Worlds
- Welcome to the Club, Tea Party: Previous Political IRS Scandals
- 3 T-Shirts for $7: The Risks and Rewards of Buying 'Irregular'
News From Our Partners
- IRS Official Who Refused to Testify Facing Scrutiny Over Scandal, Past
- DOJ FOX HUNT: Reporter's Parents' Number Among Records Seized
- 'APPALLING MURDER': UK Security Chiefs Probe Muslim Terrorist Attack
- GALILEE MYSTERY: Huge Submerged Structure Stumps Archaeologists
- RENEWED EFFORT: Obama to Restart Push to Shut Down Guantanamo
- Richard (RJ) Eskow: Apple Pie May Be American, But Apple Computer Isn't - Not Anymore
- Ocean Robbins: It's Time for a Better Farm Bill. Now.
- Maureen Ryan: 'Mad Men' Taps Into Weird Moments And Old Ideas
- Bob Greenstein: Senator Vitter Offers -- and Senate Democrats Accept -- Stunning Amendment With Racially Tinged Impacts
- Did IRS official Lois Lerner waive her right to silence?
- WATCH: Jon Stewart and Bill O'Reilly spar over the Obama scandals
- 4 burning questions Obama should answer about drones and terrorism
- 8 things I'd like to hear from Obama's counterterrorism speech
- WATCH: Suspect defends brutal beheading of London man in broad daylight
- Dog Found Standing Guard Over a Tornado Victim Reunited With Her Owner
- Colorado Governor Has Death Penalty Doubts
- Why the Yemeni Gitmo Detainees Aren't Going Anywhere (for Now)
- West Point Sergeant Accused of Spying on Female Cadets
- Why Is Twitter Letting Jose Canseco Set Another Example of Rape Victim Shame?
Also on AOL >>>
More on Aol
More on Aol
More From AOL
Latest news, weather, health, business, sports, science, money, entertainment, world news, elections, weird news and more.