Burgos is accused of killing two women in a hit-and-run accident near his hometown in the Dominican Republic earlier this week. Witnesses told police that he was driving the SUV involved in the accident, which took place Tuesday night. He eventually turned himself in for questioning. On Wednesday, the Mets released the following statement:
"We are extremely disturbed by the reports regarding the player's potential involvement in the hit and run accident that unfortunately killed two women in the Dominican Republic," the Mets said Wednesday in a statement. "We take this matter very seriously and have begun an internal investigation to ascertain the facts. Our thoughts and sympathies are with the families of the victims."Burgos missed the entire 2008 season while recovering from Tommy John surgery. He was originally thought to be on track to make at least a handful of appearances late in September, but his arrest early in the month likely scuttled those plans.
Professional teams of all sports are notourious for letting talent trump legal transgressions, so if Burgos somehow avoids jailtime (it seems unlikely at this point, but you never know), I have a hard time believing the Mets won't give him another chance, especially given the state of their bullpen. Here's to the Mets proving me wrong.