Rondo Declines Team USA Invite for World Championships
Rondo's agent, Bill Duffy, said Tuesday the Boston guard turned down an invitation, and will not be part of USA Basketball as it prepares for the World Championships in Turkey.
"He had a prior commitment,'' Duffy said by phone. "He has a family commitment with his mother.''
Duffy said he doesn't know what this might mean for Rondo possibly being a part of Team USA for the 2012 Olympics. USA Basketball chairman Jerry Colangelo could not immediately be reached but told ESPN.com that "what happens with the Olympics is we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.''
Colangelo had told FanHouse last month the five additions to the 27-man roster announced in February for this summer's World Championships and for the 2012 Olympics would be Rondo, Detroit's Tayshaun Prince, Sacramento's Tyreke Evans, Golden State's Stephen Curry and Oklahoma City's Jeff Green. All were officially announced Tuesday but Rondo, who had 19 assists in Boston's 104-86 Game 2 win Monday over Cleveland in an East semifinal.
There previously had been a communications problem, which is why Rondo wasn't originally named by USA Basketball. Colangelo said in February he had never heard back from Rondo about wanting to be on the team but Rondo later said he never got the invitation.
"I would be honored to play,'' Rondo said then. "I didn't decline the offer.''
But Rondo definitely declined it this time. That leaves the roster at 31 heading into the July 19-24 training camp in Las Vegas.
Chris Tomasson can be reached at email@example.com or on Twitter @christomasson