AOL News has a new home! The Huffington Post.

Click here to visit the new home of AOL News!

Hot on HuffPost:

See More Stories

Caster Semenya Cleared to Run Following Gender Test

Jul 6, 2010 – 12:22 AM
Text Size
FanHouse Staff

FanHouse Staff %BloggerTitle%



South African runner Caster Semenya, who has been sidelined for nearly a year as officials conducted a gender verification test, has been cleared to resume her track career, the sport's governing body announced on Tuesday.

"The IAAF accepts the conclusion of a panel of medical experts that she can compete with immediate effect," the International Association of Athletics Federations wrote.

Semenya, a relative unknown at the time, dominated the 800-meter trial at the world championships in Berlin in August, leading to calls for the muscular teenager to have her gender checked. The Sydney Daily Telegraph reported last year, citing a source with knowledge of the IAAF investigation, that Semenya had three times the typical testosterone level as an average female due the fact she had internal testes.

It's a condition where surgery and other forms of treatment are advised, but it's unclear whether Semenya underwent any during her down time. The IAAF said medical details of the case would remain confidential and the it would make no further comment.



Share
"We are delighted that Caster is finally being permitted to compete with other women, as is her legal and natural right," Jeffrey Kessler, one of Semenya's lawyers, told The Associated Press. "Hopefully, this resolution will set a precedent so that no female athlete in the future will have to experience the long delays and public scrutiny which Caster has been forced to endure."

Semenya could return to the international track scene as early as the world junior championships in Canada in two weeks.
Filed under: Sports

ON FACEBOOK