Evans, Mayo, Wallace Expected to Be Cut by Team USA
Sources close to the situation told FanHouse on Tuesday they're expected to be among the cuts when Team USA on Wednesday reveals the 15 out of 19 remaining players who will be invited to New York for the Aug. 10-16 training camp in preparation for next month's World Championship in Turkey. As to who might be the fourth cut, sources said that was still being debated.
USA Basketball chairman Jerry Colangelo would not confirm or deny any names as to who might be cut. He said the 15 players for New York would be announced during a 3 p.m. EDT conference call Wednesday.
"I still have to reach three of four people,'' Colangelo said Tuesday, emphasizing that there has been no change in USA Basketball wanting to bring 15 players to New York, with the roster needing to be trimmed to 12 by Aug. 26 in preparation for the Aug. 28-Sept. 12 World Championship.
Sacramento guard Evans, who missed the final three practices and last Saturday's scrimmage due to a sprained left ankle, has been a lock to be cut. While Memphis guard Mayo and Charlotte forward Wallace have been targeted to be cut, it's not out of the question that either could be spared if a player or two wanted for New York decides to drop out. Colangelo needs to reach all the players to make sure a player who is sought still plans to participate.
Team USA officials are debating whether to bring three centers to New York or not. If one center is cut, Washington's JaVale McGee likely has the most reason to be nervous.
The Indianapolis Star has reported both Indiana forward Danny Granger and Clippers guard Eric Gordon, neither of whom had been considered a lock, will make the cut. And the blog Warriorsworld.net reported guard Golden State guard Stephen Curry has gotten his confirmation call to go to New York.
Chris Tomasson can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org or on Twitter @christomasson