AOL News has a new home! The Huffington Post.

Click here to visit the new home of AOL News!

Hot on HuffPost:

See More Stories

Miguel Cotto's Operation Won't Affect Dec. 4 Bout With Julio Cesar Chavez

Aug 25, 2010 – 2:16 PM
Text Size
Lem Satterfield

Lem Satterfield %BloggerTitle%



An operation on the right shoulder of WBA junior middleweight (154 pounds) champion Miguel Cotto of Puerto Rico last month, first reported by BoxingScene.com, will not affect plans for a Dec. 4 defense against Julio Cesar Chavez of Mexico that is slated tentatively for New York's Madison Square Garden, the fighters' promoter, Bob Arum, of Top Rank Promotions told FanHouse onWednesday.

The 29-year-old Cotto (35-2, 28 knockouts) underwent arthroscopic surgery on the shoulder, said Arum, who was informed by Cotto's lawyer, Gabriel Peñagaricano, that the surgery should not alter their plans for the bout against the 24-year-old Chavez (40-0-1, 30 KOs).

"According to Gabby, the operation should not affect in any way Miguel Cotto's ability to fight Julio Cesar Chavez on Dec. 4," said Arum. "Gabby is the lawyer and adviser of Miguel Cotto. His official adviser already has made that statement about the operation, which was a few weeks ago."

Cotto had reportedly told reporters at a recent Boxeo Boricua in a press conference in Puerto Rico that because of the shoulder surgery, he might not be able to start training until November, according to BoxingScene.com

"Regarding his plans, he wants to fight later this year. It will not affect him. It will not alter plans," Peñagaricano was quoted by BoxingScene.com. "We have had preliminary discussions. We talked about fighting at the end of the year and discussed a few options for opponents. Chavez is one of them."
Filed under: Sports

ON FACEBOOK