AOL News has a new home! The Huffington Post.

Click here to visit the new home of AOL News!

Hot on HuffPost:

See More Stories

Juan Manuel Lopez-Rafael Marquez Could Go on Nov. 6

Aug 27, 2010 – 1:06 PM
Text Size
Lem Satterfield

Lem Satterfield %BloggerTitle%

Former world champion Rafael Marquez, whose right thumb injury postponed a scheduled Showtime-televised Sept. 18 bout with southpaw WBO featherweight (126 pounds) titlist Juan Manuel Lopez (pictured at right), is looking at a new date of Nov. 6 for their clash at an MGM property in Las Vegas, according to the promoters of both fighters, Gary Shaw, and, Top Rank Promotions.

The injury occurred approximately 10 days ago when Marquez (39-5, 35 knockouts) accidentally slammed the door to his truck on his hand.

Doctors informed Marquez that there was no fracture, but that there is an inflammation that would require at least six to eight weeks without hitting anything. Marquez's recovery would not allow him to be 100 percent for a September bout against Lopez (29-0, 26 KOs) for Sept. 18.


BoxingScene.com has reported that Marquez has continued to train in the gym, using only his left hand because he doesn't want to lose his rhythm or conditioning.

"I feel great, and I feel more relaxed after what happened to me last week. We could not give any advantages to our opponent. Juanma is a good fighter and a champion and we wanted to be in the best shape possible for that fight, so it's postponed," said Marquez.

"We are now waiting for the injury to heal so we are not hitting anything with the right hand," said Marquez. "The doctor told me that I can start working with that hand in late September or early October, and by then it will be very strong."
Filed under: Sports

ON FACEBOOK