Fearing germs, sweaty palms and dry hands, approximately half of Americans are opting for the fist bump over the traditional handshake, according to a recent study commissioned by Purell Instant Hand Sanitizer.
What is to blame for the rise of this "keep your distance" policy? Try varying degrees of germaphobia. The study shows that -- although both of the following occurrences are decidedly unappealing -- 55 percent of Americans would "rather touch a public toilet seat than shake someone's hand after they've coughed or sneezed into it." Not too surprising, considering that more than 59 million Americans consider themselves germaphobes.
The study also found that roughly 75 percent of American adults learned to shake hands from a family member, while a similar number of parents believe that a child should learn how to shake hands before attending school. Perhaps the other 25 percent of parents comprise the one in four adults who actually encouraged their children not to shake hands in fear of -- you guessed it -- germs. ("How many times do we need to remind you? Fist pound only, young man.")
The fist bump possesses a multitude of theories surrounding its origins, ranging from the evolution of both the handshake and high five, an obscure "Super Friends" reference and the greeting of two boxers entering the ring.
For additional -- hilarious -- information on the subject, the Surge Desk offers you this clip:
Follow Surge Desk on Twitter.