Five-Step Drop: Ohio State Tickets Snapped Up Quickly -- In Arkansas
1. Ohio State fans planning to make the trip to the Sugar Bowl could find a few unexpected guests sitting among them. The university put a block of 1,700 tickets on sale Wednesday morning and sold them all in 15 minutes. Normal bowl game protocol dictates that the tickets should first be offered to season ticket holders, donors and the like, but OSU made the tickets available to the general public. That sounds noble, until you realize that the general public also includes Arkansas fans. Indeed, one Ohio State athletic official who saw a list of buyers said, "There are Arkansas zip codes in there, I can tell you that." The university doesn't care that some Razorbacks fans will be mingling with the Buckeyes. Two years ago Ohio State had to swallow 3,000 Fiesta Bowl tickets, so anybody's money is green enough.
2. Ron Pettichord wins this year's Most Dedicated Fan award. The Oregon man noticed that an upcoming event scheduled for Jan. 10 conflicted with the Ducks' appearance in the BCS National Championship Game, so he quickly rescheduled it. What was that upcoming event? Open heart surgery. He'll now go under the knife two days later, on Jan. 12. Isn't that a sign of having one's priorities out of whack? Not according to Pettichord. "What if I never woke up? I'd never know the score," he said.
3. Spencer Hall, the prime mover behind Every Day Should Be Saturday, isn't just a great college football writer. He's a great writer, period. Hall posted a lengthy personal reflection on Urban Meyer's resignation that doesn't just go through the emotions of watching a beloved coach step down. Hall deals with questions of motivation and focus, all framed by Hall's experiences with what he terms "severe ADD." You need to read what he wrote; it'll move you and make you think.
4. Not every college football dream ends in instant happiness. For Penn State quarterback Kevin Newsome, this was not the greatest of seasons, as Joe Paterno used Rob Bolden and Matt McGloin extensively. Newsome saw some playing time, but it's clear he's the third wheel in Happy Valley. Now rumors have Newsome wanting out of Penn State, which is perfectly understandable. Nothing is official yet, but Bob Flounders of Pennlive.com says the Nittany Lions should let Newsome go if he wants to, because it's clear Newsome is not part of Penn State's plans any more.
5. Kevin McGuire of College Football Examiner was watching the classic Christmas TV special "The Year Without a Santa Claus" and thought he saw a familiar face in the background: Jim Tressel. I think he's on to something. We'll know for sure when Blitzen tweets that he must be the worst reindeer and he might quit Christmas.