Andre Berto-Victor Ortiz 'Promising' for Amir Khan April 16 Card
Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer said that negotiations look "promising" for WBC welterweight (147) titlist Andre Berto, of Winter Haven, Fla., to face southpaw junior welterweight (140 pounds) contender Victor Ortiz, of Oxnard, Calif., as part of an HBO televised, April 16, split-site double-header that will include WBA junior welterweight king Amir Khan fighting from his native England.
Along with Berto (27-0, 21 knockouts) against Ortiz (28-2-2, 22 KOs), Khan (24-1, 17 KOs) could face either Lamont Peterson (28-1-1, 14 KOs) of Washington, D.C., or English fighters John Murray (30-0, 18 KOs) or southpaw Paul McCloskey (22-0, 12 KOs).
Murray has won six straight fights by knockout, and McCloskey, five consecutive bouts by stoppage.
"I met with Victor Ortiz today, and we're working on Victor and Berto. There are a few things that I need to discuss as a follow up with Victor, but it looks promising," said Schaefer. "It would be April 16, and it would be together with the Khan fight from England, tape-delayed, and paired with the live fight of Victor Ortiz and Andre Berto."
As for the Khan fight, Schaefer said, "We are still working that out."
"Lamont Peterson still is in the race. There are a couple of other guys, and we hope that within the next 24 to 48 hours to have that done," said Schaefer.
"We're making progess, and the goal is to have it done in the next couple of days," said Schaefer. "McCloskey is one of the names which has been mentioned. John Murray has been mentioned. So, we just have to work it a little bit more and see where end up."
Ortiz and Peterson battled to a 10-round, majority draw on the Dec. 11, under card of Khan's unanimous decision victory over hard-punching, WBA interim champion Marcos Rene Maidana (29-2, 27 KOs) of Argentina.
Promoted by Lou DiBella, Berto has scored two straight knockouts, respectively, over southpaw former world champion Carlos Quintana (27-3, 22 KOs) in April, and hard-punching Freddy Hernandez (29-1, 20 KOs), last month, in the eighth and first rounds.
Along with 37-year-old WBO and WBA lightweight king Juan Manuel Marquez (51-5-1, 38 KOs), Berto had been considered for a potential May 7 bout at the MGM Grand Hotel in Las Vegas opposite eight-division titlist, Manny Pacquiao (52-3-2, 38 KOs), holder of the WBO welterweight and WBC junior middleweight (154 pounds) belts.
Pacquiao, however, has chosen to defend his WBO crown against 39-year-old Shane Mosley (46-6-1, 39 KOs).