Tomas Kaberle Could Be Dealt to Boston
Both Toronto general manager Brian Burke and Bruins president Cam Neely have confirmed there have been trade talks between the teams, and Neely told a Boston radio station on Tuesday that his team "is close to something."
Neely also said the Bruins would be willing to deal their first-round pick in the June draft to bolster the lineup for the Stanley Cup playoffs.
That pick differs from Toronto's first-round selection Boston picked up in the Phil Kessel trade last season. The Bruins got Toronto's first-round pick in both the 2010 and 2011 draft and the way things are looking they will end up with a second straight lottery selection.
On the same Boston radio station, Burke did say that he is not negotiating to get back the first-round draft pick that Toronto sent to the Bruins in the Kessel deal.
Kaberle has a no-trade clause and he has previously declined to waive it to facilitate a trade. While he has not waived that clause, reports say he has indicated he would look favorably on a trade to Boston.
The Bruins and Leafs thought they had a trade worked out for Kaberle at the 2009 draft, but it fell apart.
Boston has been shopping for a defenseman, and both Kaberle and Ottawa's Chris Phillips have been mentioned as veterans the Bruins are interested in.
Kaberle is the second-highest scoring defenseman in franchise history -- behind only Borje Salming -- with 83 goals and 435 assists in 876 games, all with the Maple Leafs.
Burke has been busy wheeling and dealing in the last week.
Last week, he sent defenseman Francois Beauchemin to Anaheim for Joffrey Lupul and college prospect Jake Gardiner.
Kris Versteeg was traded to the Philadelphia Flyers on Monday for a first- and third-round pick in the June draft.
Then on Tuesday, he acquired Aaron Voros from the Anaheim Ducks in exchange for a conditional 7th-round draft pick.