Khalid Ali-M Aldawsari, a 20-year-old chemical engineering student at South Plains College near Lubbock, Texas, was detained late Tuesday and charged with attempted use of a weapon of mass destruction. He is expected to appear in federal court in Lubbock on Friday.
Check out a video report from The Associated Press:
Here's what is known about the suspect thus far:
- Aldawsari is legally in the U.S. on a student visa.
- He allegedly researched online how to manufacture a makeshift explosive device using various chemical ingredients.
- He allegedly considered New York City as a potential target.
- FBI officials indicated that he also looked up the Dallas home of former President George W. Bush as another potential target, referring to the location as "Tyrant's House."
- In e-mails, Aldawsari allegedly listed 12 reservoir dams in Colorado and California as possible targets
- According to federal authorities, entries in Aldawsari's diary indicated that he had been planning an attack for years and sought a student visa as a means to conduct jihad from within the U.S.